Train Depot Restoration
Client: Town of Orange, Virginia
Year Completed: 1997
FPW’s adaptive re-use of this 2800 sf, 1902 passenger station originally constructed by Southern Railroad called for a visitor center, transportation museum, community meeting space, and a potential Amtrak “whistle stop.” FPW’s work included a facility condition survey and evaluation to document the existing facility and serve as the basis for rehabilitation. An elevated concrete freight room floor and exterior freight platform were removed to restore the interior and exterior spaces to their original proportions. Original doors, windows, and millwork were identified and new components were designed to match the existing profiles.